Kipland Philip “Kip” Kinkel (born August 30, 1982) is an American spree killer. In May 1998, at the age of 15, he murdered his parents and engaged in a school shooting at Thurston High School in Springfield, Oregon, that left two students dead and 25 others wounded. He is serving a 111-year sentence, without the possibility of parole.
On May 20, 1998, Kinkel was suspended pending an expulsion hearing from Thurston High School for being in possession of a loaded, stolen handgun. A friend of Kinkel’s had stolen a pistol from the father of one of his friends and arranged to sell the weapon to Kinkel the night before. Kinkel paid $110 ($156.85 when adjusted for inflation) for the Beretta Model 90 .32-caliber pistol loaded with a 9-round magazine, which he then placed in a paper bag and left in his locker. When the father discovered he was missing a handgun, he reported it to the police and supplied the names of students he believed might have stolen the firearm. Kinkel’s name was not on the list. The school became aware of his possible involvement and questioned him. When he was checked for weapons, he reportedly stated: “Look, I’m gonna be square with you guys; the gun’s in my locker.” Kinkel was suspended pending an expulsion hearing from Thurston High School, and he and his friend were arrested. Kinkel was released from police custody and driven home by his father.
At home that afternoon, Kinkel was told by his father that he would be sent to boarding school if he did not change his behavior. At 3:30 p.m., Kinkel retrieved his locked-up rifle from his parents’ bedroom, loaded it, and went to the kitchen, where he shot his father in the back of the head.
He waited for his mother to come home. About 6 p.m., as she walked up the stairs from the garage, Kinkel shot her twice in the back of the head, three times in the face, and once in the heart.
He later stated that he had wanted to protect his parents from the embarrassment that his expulsion would have caused them.
Kinkel dragged his mother’s body from the bottom of the stairs into the garage and dragged his father into the bathroom, where he locked the door. He placed a white sheet over each of the bodies. During the morning, he also played the song “Liebestod” from the soundtrack of Romeo + Juliet repeatedly. It was still playing when the police arrived at the residence
On May 21, Kinkel drove his mother’s Ford Explorer to the high school. He wore a trench coat to hide the five weapons he carried: two hunting knives, a 9mm Glock 19 pistol, a Ruger .22-caliber semi-automatic rifle, and a .22-caliber Ruger MK II pistol. He was carrying 1,127 rounds of ammunition.
He parked on North 61st Street, two blocks from the school, then jogged to the campus, entered the patio area and fired two shots, one fatally wounding Ben Walker and the other wounding Ryan Atteberry. Kinkel went to the cafeteria and, walking across it, fired the remaining 48 rounds from his rifle, wounding 24 students and killing 17-year-old Mikael Nickolauson. Kinkel fired a total of 50 rounds, accumulating 37 hits, and two fatalities.
When Kinkel’s rifle ran out of ammunition and he began to reload, wounded student Jacob Ryker tackled him, assisted by several other students. Kinkel drew the Glock and fired one shot before he was disarmed, injuring Ryker again as well as another student. The students restrained Kinkel until the police arrived and arrested him. A total of seven students were involved in subduing and disarming Kinkel.
Nickolauson died at the scene; Walker died after being transported to the hospital and kept on life support until his parents arrived. The other students, including Ryker, were also taken to the hospital with a variety of wounds. Ryker had a perforated lung, but he made a full recovery.
Kinkel is incarcerated at the Oregon State Correctional Institution in Salem, Oregon, USA.
- luvray likes this
- luvray reblogged this from vodka-666
- more-human-than-human likes this
- waterbottleinvention reblogged this from vodka-666
- twiggyisthehydra reblogged this from vodka-666
- grrlvomitt likes this
- vodka-666 reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- vodka-666 likes this
- whereiskatie likes this
- gazleong reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- chrishansenfromdatelinenbc likes this
- chimalxochitl likes this
- princess-she-monster reblogged this from pinchemocosa
- sadfork reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- pinchemocosa reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- allmoshnodance reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- dystope likes this
- geckobrok likes this
- pablo-hunny likes this
- nokindofhome likes this
- misty-refuge likes this
- preproomprincess reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- whenitalkpeoplelisten likes this
- lastcleanteeshirt likes this
- weichenfluss likes this
- crimesandkillers reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- nirvanasunriseee likes this
- fuck-you-im-brandon likes this
- muteilation reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- drippings-of-ink reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- isaygodisdead reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- hero-ofher-story likes this
- backwardsborn likes this
- yaoichick likes this
- imtasteless reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- stupendo likes this
- georginabc1 reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- georginabc1 likes this
- fangs- likes this
- d-eathisap-romise reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- deadsperm likes this
- mistress-of-satan reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- mister-krampus likes this
- slave-tothegrind likes this
- columbineobsession reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- themonsterinsidemyhead likes this
- runningbarefootonice likes this
- ggrimy1 reblogged this from crimesandkillers