Luka Magnotta timeline
A timeline of events in the case of Luka Rocco Magnotta, who will stand trial in September 2014 for first-degree murder in the dismemberment slaying of Lin Jun.
July: Chinese student Lin Jun arrives in Montreal.
May 24: Lin Jun last seen by friends.
May 25: Neighbour spots porn actor and model Luka Rocco Magnotta carrying box to post office.
May 26: Magnotta flies out of Montreal to France, landing in Paris. Montana lawyer Roger Renville sees bizarre Internet video he believes is snuff film depicting bound man being stabbed to death and dismembered.
May 27: Renville alerts U.S. and Canadian police to Internet video but they dismiss it as a fake.
May 29: Montreal police called to low-rent apartment building after janitor finds dismembered torso in suitcase left in trash. Same day, foot is found in package mailed to Conservative party in Ottawa and hand is found in package in Canada Post warehouse. Package destined for Liberal party. Lin reported missing by friends.
May 30: Montreal police name Magnotta as prime suspect and say national warrant issued for his arrest. Interpol adds him to its wanted list, putting police in 190 countries on alert. Magnotta spotted in Paris bar where he had soft drink and later left with a man. Montreal police find video on Internet and try unsuccessfully to have it taken down.
May 31: Montreal police confirm they have video that apparently shows man tied to bed and being killed and then dismembered.
June 1: Montreal police identify torso victim as Lin, a 33-year-old Chinese computer science student at Concordia University. Warrant issued for Magnotta on upgraded first-degree murder charge. Police say Magnotta also charged with threatening Prime Minister Stephen Harper because of the foot mailed to the Conservative Party of Canada offices. Montreal police confirm Magnotta left Canada on May 26 for Europe.
June 2: French police conduct “targeted” searches.
June 3: Reports that Magnotta stayed in low-budget hotel in Paris, leaving behind pornographic magazines as well as air sickness bags from airplane. French media report police are checking on claims of two people who say they saw him. Chinese Embassy in Ottawa issues statement advising Chinese visitors to Canada to take safety precautions.
June 4: German police acting on tip arrest Magnotta in Berlin after he is spotted in an Internet cafe apparently reading news reports about himself. Faces charges of first-degree murder, committing indignity to dead body, mailing obscene material and criminally harassing prime minister and several unidentified members of Parliament. Harper, attending Queen’s Jubilee in Britain, congratulates police on their quick work.
June 5: Two schools in Vancouver receive packages containing human remains: a hand and a foot. Meanwhile, in Berlin, Magnotta informs authorities he will not fight his extradition. Lin’s family arrives in Montreal.
June 13: Forensic tests allow Montreal police to confirm that the torso, feet and hands all belong to Lin. A Berlin court orders Magnotta to remain behind bars pending his extradition to Canada.
June 18: Magnotta arrives in Montreal aboard a Canadian military plane. He was shackled during the flight and escorted by several armed guards. Montreal police say they were unable to convince a commercial carrier to take Magnotta onboard.
June 19: Magnotta pleads not guilty after being formally charged with the first-degree murder of Lin, along with defiling his corpse, harassing Harper and members of Parliament, and publishing and mailing obscene material.
June 21: Magnotta makes an in-person court appearance in Montreal in order to set future court dates (his previous appearance was via video conference). He is represented by Toronto lawyer Luc Leclair, who has received a special dispensation from the Quebec bar to represent Magnotta in the case.
July 1: A tip leads Montreal police to a park in Montreal’s west end, where they discover human remains near a pond.
July 4: Forensic tests allow Montreal police to confirm that the body part found three days earlier was Lin’s head.
March 11: Preliminary hearing begins. Magnotta’s lawyers argue, unsuccessfully, that the courtroom should be closed to the public and media. The courtroom remains open and a more routine publication ban is applied to details of the preliminary hearing.
March 12: Lin Jun’s father, Daran, leaves courtroom in tears after hearing evidence. Details of that evidence are subject to the publication ban. Members of Lin Jun’s family have arrived from China to follow the case.
March 19: Magnotta collapses in court during his preliminary hearing while appearing to be distraught by the evidence presented against him. Still handcuffed, he falls to his side in the prisoner’s box and curls into a fetal position.
April 12: Magnotta ordered to stand trial on five charges, including first-degree murder, in decision by Quebec court Judge Lori-Renee Weitzman.
April 29: A trial date is set for Sept. 15, 2014. Also, there will be an earlier pre-trial conference on Sept. 3, 2013.
- 1lunatic1icepick reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- suckmyplague likes this
- poutykiller likes this
- the-milwaukee-monster reblogged this from serialkillersnshit
- parttimecrimeblog likes this
- killing-indiscriminately reblogged this from serialkillersnshit
- rectumrefreshers likes this
- serialkillersnshit reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- unfamiliar-banana likes this
- blowtorch-nightlight likes this
- son-of-a-bundy reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- isnortmarijuana likes this
- whiskeybreathandbruisedknuckles likes this
- fangirls-stronghold reblogged this from livetthh
- fangirls-stronghold likes this
- livetthh reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- remedyyoursoul likes this
- pigsnuff reblogged this from remedyyoursoul
- remedyyoursoul reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- bitchierthanyou likes this
- commite-d reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- darcyycrad likes this
- letsgetfuckeduponcrack likes this
- butagnyom likes this
- littlestonefox likes this
- pascallestrln reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- pascallestrln likes this
- simply-a-freak reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- vorianatreides reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- patrickfukinstar likes this
- ashvovoom reblogged this from reachyourlimit
- theartofpessimism reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- indelliblemercinary likes this
- buddyhollyforever likes this
- margaretellen reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- eejanaika-ne likes this
- reachyourlimit reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- grahmatter reblogged this from miikewizowskii
- defectivemindss likes this
- goooglenaps likes this
- dumbsadblogger likes this
- iiamthetrapp likes this
- miikewizowskii reblogged this from crimesandkillers
- weichenfluss likes this
- rembrandt-pussyhorse likes this
- nocturnal-demon likes this
- twitmonger likes this
- crimesandkillers posted this